Wednesday, February 02, 2011

On Commitments, Engagements and Marriages

Two nights ago, I dreamed I was engaged to PNoy, our president. (That's what a single get to dream of when she thinks too much of her country and its bachelor president. haha) The way everyone reacted in my dream seem to tell me that they've been waiting for us to be engaged for a long time now. Then I was forced to say yes while he putted the ring on my ring finger. I was thinking then about the responsibilities of being her first lady and how my life will be put into a public spectacle. I was so not into the idea of getting married. When I woke up, I just realized how worried I was when I was confronted by that situation.

Commitments. What I hate about commitments is the expectation. You are expected to act like this and that. You are expected to report where you are, almost every hour. You are expected to be sweet, caring and understanding.

Engagements. What makes engagements pathetic is the idea of "no turning back." Like in chess, it's touch move. Once you are engaged, it is almost as you are married. It would be harder to turn down your lover if you change your mind.

Marriages. If it weren't for annulment and divorce, marriage is a forever promise (or curse) to spend the rest of your life with someone.

I might sound skeptic on how I view these terms. But you know what, the real key to making these three haven and enjoyable is Love. It may be cliché but loving someone that loves you back is everything. Committing,engaging and marrying that person is as easy as reading your favorite book or even chewing your food.

I have seen lots of failed relationships and even experienced it. But, it is always ecstatic to see couples loving each other for the rest of their lives. Seeing them makes me hope that someday I'll meet the one that is indeed for me. Or maybe, I met him already. :-D

But please, not PNoy.


No comments: